PDA

View Full Version : What is trading stuff?

FINCH
March 20th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Jut started playing TF2 and enjoying it so far. But what is the items you get? Like i have a bow for sniper, a military hat for heavy, a knife thingy LOL, do they help you? Or is it like skins, purely cosmetic. I wish someone would do some stuff with me online to help me out.

tidbit
March 20th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I don't know much about it, but if you have something you need/want I can check to see if I have it. I don't care about trading. I'll give away extra crap to help out a friend. ;-)

Gwarsbane
March 21st, 2012, 12:54 AM
I don't know much about it, but if you have something you need/want I can check to see if I have it. I don't care about trading. I'll give away extra crap to help out a friend. ;-)

I sent ya link in PM for ya to add me. So that I can see your inventory. and I can tell you whats worth anything and whats not.

If by the military hat you mean the Bill's Hat? That could be worth quite a lot of keys. And depending on where the keys come from they are worth about $1.50 to about $2.50

You can use keys to open boxes or trade them for other things.

I have trade keys for games.

lostsomething
March 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
Jut started playing TF2 and enjoying it so far. But what is the items you get? Like i have a bow for sniper, a military hat for heavy, a knife thingy LOL, do they help you? Or is it like skins, purely cosmetic. I wish someone would do some stuff with me online to help me out.

Hats are purely cosmetic. Weapons are, at least intended to be, sidegrades - neither better nor worse than the weapons they replace, just suited to a different style of play.

Gwarsbane
March 21st, 2012, 06:57 PM
Ok checked out what stuff you have right now, for the most part you have just common stuff, not worth anything.

The Soldier of Fortune & The Proof of Purchase can't be traded only worn.

Most of the weapons do different things, some are more valuable then others.

Right now Strange weapons are the rage. Least certain ones. They keep tack of certain things like kills or back stabs or what ever. I've have one of the really wanted weapons, the strange Machina, its on lone from Echo at the moment so that I can try to get keys for it. The normal ones not worth so much, the Strange ones are worth about 9 to 10 keys (last time I checked).

Here is a good site to get a decent idea of what somethings worth.

http://tf2spreadsheet.blogspot.ca

Type in the item you are looking for and it will give you a rough estimate of what its worth.

If you don't know, every week, around Thursday, there is a new drop of items. You can get pretty much anything including hats and weapons and items.

If you want to know if something is useful or worth a lot post the items name here and we'll try to help.

Most of the time something is only useful if a character you use uses it. For example I find the Strange Machina useful because when fully charged I can shoot though 3 or more people at once and even kill all 3 of them. I've shot though someone and killed the person behind him. (in fact I think it was Echo who died first). lol

Hats for the most part that I know of, don't usually give you any special abilities but some are worth like a refined or 2, some are worth 20 or more keys, just depends on how rare they are or how badly someones them.

Unusual hats/items are also usually pricy.

FINCH
March 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
What is the key system and what is the drop box?

Gwarsbane
March 22nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
The keys are to open the drop boxes. You'll find random stuff in the boxes. For the most part the boxes are not worth the keys because the chances to get something good out of them are tiny.

However there is one box that is worth quite a bit. Series #30 box. The reason why its worth a lot is because most of the items in it are worth the 5 or 6 keys people are willing to pay for the crate. There are a couple of items in it that aren't worth that number of keys, but if you happen to get one in a drop and have a key it might be worth it to use it on that box.

All the items in the series #30 are strange items.

I got one in a drop and got 6 keys for it.

The keys can be bought in the manco store in TF2 for $2.50 each, or on the "black market" for about half that but you have to take your chances with sending money to people via paypal or some other cash service.

Personally I would never buy a key.

You can also trade around 2.33 to 2.66 refined metal for a key.

Metal goes like this...

2 regulars weapons (they call them unique but everyone has them so they are not so unique) = 1 scrap or .11 refined (ref)

.11 ref = 1 scrap
.22 ref = 2 scrap
.33 ref = 1 reclaimed
.44 ref = 1 reclaimed + 1 scrap
.55 ref = 1 reclaimed + 2 scrap
.66 ref = 2 reclaimed
.77 ref = 2 reclaimed + 1 scrap
.88 ref = 2 reclaimed + 2 scrap

People have been trading metal and keys for games on steam trade. The amounts vary, some people are greedy, some are not. I've seen some people asking (for example) 4 keys for a $10 dollar game, when its currently on sale for like $2.50.

Even when a game is not on sale, I wouldn't go full price just because more then likely the person got the game while it was on sale for real cheap.

Getting games for metal and keys is the whole reason I got into TF2 trading. I really don't like the game. I mostly just let it idle on the weekends on idle servers and get drops. :)

If you don't know, you can buy games as gifts, and put them in your inventory so that you can sent it later, open it yourself or trade it to someone. (I've got a bunch of them in my inventory and I'm just giving them away in contests, next one starting soon so keep watch).

Wow did I really spew out a lot of info there. lol

Gwarsbane
March 22nd, 2012, 10:48 PM
Oh ya and pretty much nothing is worth what they want for it in the manco store mainly because most of it is common in drops.

Though as far as I know there are no regular keys ever in the drops though I think during xmas and other special events there might be special key drops, but others would have to confirm that as I have been doing this only since the new year.

FINCH
March 23rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
Some guy a while ago asked to trade something during a game, like a little msg popped up, i said no because no doubt i would have been screwed lol

Gwarsbane
March 23rd, 2012, 02:14 AM
Good call waiting, looks like you got some decent stuff now

Not sure what Dragonborn Helmet is worth, but the genuine version (the one you would get if you preordered a game that came with it) is worth 7 refined.

Aladdin's Private Reserve is worth about 2 keys.