PDA

View Full Version : Trading Basics

Wolfeman
February 21st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Trading for items is usually done in metal or keys. More expensive items like unusuals or very rare items will be paid for in Bills or Buds or Max Head.

Any two weapons from the same class can be crafted together to make a scrap. If you use a weapon you received for an achievement milestone then the scrap of metal is not tradable.

3 scraps combined to make 1 Reclaimed and 3 Reclaimed combined to make 1 Refined. If you use an untradable scrap at any step it makes it all untradable.

A refined is the base unit of metal for trading much the way a dollar is the base unit for American money.
A refined = 1
Since a reclaimed is 1/3 of a refined (3 reclaimed make a refined)
A reclaimed = .33
Since a scrap is 1/3 of a reclaimed
A scrap = .11

Something costing .77 would be two reclaimed plus one scrap (.33+.33+.11)
Something costing 2.33 would be two refined plus a reclaimed (1+1+.33)

Keys are the next form of currency followed by a Bills hat (promo hat received for pre-ordering L4D2). Earbuds (received for playing TF2 on a Mac during promo period) are about the highest form of normal currency but a Max head (Sam & Max promo item) is worth 2 buds currently. Prices on these items fluctuate some.

This is a link to a spreadsheet that will give you a fairly good idea of what something is worth. However, it's just like cars and bluebook value. It's a starting point that will go up or down depending on market. Newer items are fairly expensive when they come out but quickly go down in value most of the time.

http://tf2spreadsheet.blogspot.com/

Feel free to ask me questions if you have any or if you need/want something.

Wolfeman
February 21st, 2012, 04:23 PM
There are also people in trade servers that will offer a service called "scrapbanking"

They will take any two weapons from you and give you a scrap for them. This means you no longer have to hold onto all those extra weapons waiting for a match to craft it.

They will also sell you just about any older weapon for a scrap as well. This means you no longer have to save up 8 jarates to craft the Solem vow. You just buy it for a scrap.

As of the end of February, Christmas update weapons are starting to hit the one scrap range but because of drop rate they are still hard to find and can cost up to 1 reclaimed.

deadbolt
February 23rd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Wolfeman,
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I know the trading world is confusing to many of us and any help you give is welcome.

Now, is my tree still worth anything?
db

Candlejack
February 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
from what i have read, the value of unusuals is entirely up to the person that owns the hat/effect. i think its the flashier the effect the more valuable the item is